Thursday, 7 June 2012

1/72 Norse

Army37
The whole lot;

Metal figures from Tumbling dice.
image

From DBA and DBM army lists Book 3.

I was in a bit of a dilemma regarding shields.  As I don’t possess decent artistic skills, free drawing 30 designs was out of the question.  An alternative of course was to use decals, seemed a bit fiddly. Eventually I stumbled across the site indicated below.  From the information contained therein, I ended up with the command having red and white shield (as the sagas would have it) and the rest in black/yellow as found in the Gokstad ship.  No patterns were mentioned so I came up with 28 simple ones of my own.

Stallari with Merkismathr;
Gen39 

Hirðmenn: 
Blades;
Hird07Hird04

Spears;
Spears Spears12

Gestir:
Warbands;
Wb48Wb24

Bows;
BwBow22

Skirmishers.
Skirm32Skirm45  

Sources:
De Bellis Antiquitatis rules

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_shields.htm

8 comments:

  1. I just explored your blg via Benno's Forum. You've done a great job with all your armies! I especially like your hellenistic morph, as I'm working on the same field at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! great looking old school figs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the leftmost of the Hirðmenn with the radioactive shield...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent painted army!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comments appreciated. Hellenistic is something I haven't touched for a while; fascinating period. The new 28mm plastics hoplites are more than tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Norman, there's probably a bio-hazard in there somewhere as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Peter. That was a long project getting all six armies done, draw a line under that one I think.

    ReplyDelete